My Ava. What a character. She will talk my ear off if she has the chance and we have great conversations! I think Ava is as good of company as most of the adults I know, if not better. Her latest phrase that cracks Todd and I up, is "So what are you doing guys?" She has a generally compassionate, curious personality that leads to some very hilarious conversations. For example, she occassionally likes for me to sit in the bathroom with her while she goes potty. She has been fully potty trained for a while, but still likes company. I have to sit on the edge of the tub and she'll always mimic my position, whether my arms are crossed or I'm leaning my head on my hand. Without fail she asks me, "So what did you do today Mommy?" It doesn't matter what time of day it is, or whether she's been with me the entire day or not, she very politely asks me what I did and listens as I list things off. She even asks questions about things I list, like if I say, "I exercised, then showered, then ate breakfast . . . " She'll ask "What did you eat for breakfast? Was it good?" I wish I had a conversation like this recorded because it's hysterical and very much like talking to an adult, but all taking place in the bathroom. Sometimes I have to leave to encourage her to be done. It seems as though we could sit there all day just shootin' the breeze.We moved her upstairs a few weeks ago, into a big girl bed. She has done so well with that. I can't believe how grown up she is. Yesterday, we were going through the naptime routine when I just happened to mention how tired I was. Well, that was all Ava needed to hear. She took off my shoes and sat me on her bed, then covered me up and asked me if I needed a drink. I let this play out because Bowe was already asleep and I figured she'd lay down with me and we could both rest for a while. However, that's not what she had in mind. That little girl is so funny and so smart. She doesn't miss a thing. After she had me in bed and I told her I did not need a drink, she read me a book (reciting a story from memory quite well), tucked her Panda in next to me, sat on the bed with her arm around me and sang me a lullaby (a conglomeration of all her favorite songs) then turned out the light. She then started down the stairs only to turn around and ask me if I wanted her to lay with me. I said, "Yes please." She responded with, "I have some work to do. I'll come back and check on you in a few mintues. Then I'll lay down with you." It was funny and a little sad to see her mimic me so well. I think it's always good to know how your children see you.
I listened to her go downstairs, then turn around and come right back up. I asked if she finished her work. She said, "I'm too tired to work and you were crying so I came up to check on you. Are you OK Honey? I'll lay with you for a few minutes." It's probably important to say, I was not crying, but this is just part of the routine and she couldn't skip it. However, she laid down and fell asleep within a few minutes and I lay with her marveling at what an intelligent, fun, and compassionate child she is. She definitely has her toddler moments (the phrase, I don't want to, is used quite often these days) but overall, has such a caring personality. Thank you Ava, for reminding me how lucky I am and also for reminding me what is important!
I also wanted to give Todd some credit for putting well over 100 miniature Glow-in-the-dark star stickers on Ava's ceiling. We have all sorts of constellations to look at every night. Thanks Daddy!
Our local YMCA has a children's play gym that Ava and I tested out last Friday. We met some of our friends there and had a great time tumbling, climbing and rolling around. Here are some pics from our adventures.
Ava and her adorable friend Kate.
Tiny spaces never stop children. They can get through the smallest of holes. Kids are amazing.
Does anyone have the problem where you tell your kids to smile and they make a very strange, almost painful expression? We are working on getting Ava to smile more naturally for pictures. This was one of the better expressions. :)
I had a few other cute pictures from this week. You may ask, what is it with Bowe and washcloths? It's a mystery to me. Ava was the same way. All I know is when he sees a washcloth, he immediately grabs for it and sticks it in his mouth. When I take it away, he is less than thrilled. Arm flailing, growling, and a bright red face quickly follows.Here's Ava at 6 months old. Must be in the genes.






3 comments:
I LOVE that story about Ava putting you down for a nap. I can't wait to have kids too. I hope they are as clever and compassionate as yours. I know that a lot of it will have to do with my attitude and my love with them. (Which means you are doing a good job with your children.)
That is the sweetest story and funny too about Ava. I was laughing at her tucking you into bed and then leaving to take care of things! I hope my little Ellie turns out this sweet and thoughtful.
I had so much catching up with you guys and had such a laugh over Ava. She seams like such a smart cookie! Paul and I miss you guys and hope you don't mind if I stick your blog on our site-so we can check on you all the easier.
Post a Comment