July 23, 2007

Time with Dad

Saturday was a great day. Todd was gone with his dad to an antique car show for the day. They took my Father-in-law's 54 Chevy Truck to show and had a great time. Well, that left a full day for Ava and I to hang out. We went to some garage sales and played around the house. It was a beautiful day here. Sunny, but breezy so not too hot. We went for a walk that consisted of me doing a lot of walking and Ava along for the ride. Someone just said to me while I was holding Ava, "Should you be lifting anything over 20 lbs?" My question back, how can you not hold your child? I try not to carry her in excess, but to just stop holding her and picking her up seems impossible to me. I guess I'll do it as long as my body allows.

The true fun came for me that night when I left Ava with my Mother-in-law and met up with my Dad to go to the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra outdoor concert showcasing 100 years of Broadway. It was fantastic. We had great seats and I loved catching up with my dad. The tickets were originally my parents, then they gave them to me because my mom was busy. Well, Todd wouldn't be home in time so it was just me and my Dad and I think we should do it more often. There were two singers to showcase some of the broadway hits and the RPO is world class. It was great to get a little dressed up and do something different. I think I was the youngest there. Most of the crowd were octegenarians. It's just such a blessing to live close to family and take advantage of spending time with them. Ava is so lucky to know both sets of grandparents so well.

Many people have been asking me about the name of our baby boy. Right now he is just Baby Brother because we haven't come up with any boy names that really fit. I am totally the type of person that needs to see the baby before assigning a name, but I would feel better if I had 3 or 4 options going into the hospital. I'm not sure why this is so difficult this time around. I want something classic sounding that fits with Hawkins and Ava. Todd's rules are that it shouldn't be more than 2 syllables and should be easy to pronounce and spell. We both had the idea that we could find a name starting with "E" and name our kids with all the vowels. "A, E, I, O, U". I said we may stop at O because 4 kids sounds like plenty to me and there really are no good U names. Todd argued that we could use "sometimes Y", but what good Y names are there? Seriously. So as of right now, this kid has no name. I have 7 weeks until my due date and that seems like plenty of time to pick out a name and do everything else that needs to be done.

In other news, I got all of Ava's hair into a ponytail. It was so cute and made her look a little bit older. It didn't last more than 1/2 a day after her hair dried, but I was proud. She's growing up so fast. I love talking to her and listening to her stories. She suggested naming the baby Sam, like from the book Green Eggs and Ham. Thanks Ava, we'll take that into consideration.

2 comments:

lrbodine said...

Good luck on the name choice. We went into the hospital with 3 names and decided right when she was born what it was going to be! I think for future children - I don't want to have to hear my in-laws giving their suggestions for 9 months so I will just be telling people we will be naming him/her when they are born and that's the end of discussion. :) If I ask for suggestions it's one thing . . .

Ava's hair looks so cute in the ponytail!

Jessica said...

mindy you are so beautiful. you're positively glowing! i agree that ava's hair looks so cute in a ponytail. i'm still waiting for the day when i will be able to get all of grace's in one. *sigh*