December 17, 2007

Snow Day!

In the true spirit of the Holidays, we got our first big snowstorm. It came on a weekend and was actually two separate storms hitting about 12 hours apart. The snow wasn't nearly as bad as projected, but watching the storm hysteria is quite amusing. Everyone hits the grocery stores and gas stations. I'm not really sure why this is, but the mentality is that everything will break down or be closed, and we'll all be stuck in our homes for days at a time. In reality, it may take about 4 hours to clear the roads after the snow stops, but no one is going to starve in that time. NY gets snow all the time, yet the hysteria continues to hit.

The other funny thing is the way people drive in the snow. You would also think that if you live in a place where snow continues to come all Winter long, you would get good tires and maybe feel a little bit comfortable driving in the snow. NOT THE CASE! There was a car in front of me with bald tires, sliding all over the road, driving super slow, and continually slamming on their brakes. The poor things were probably so stressed out about driving, but they were actually making it worse for everyone else. If you've ever driven in snow, you know that slamming on your brakes is the WORST thing to do. So, for all of you from warmer climates, the tips for winter driving are: good tires, drive at a pace that you feel you are in control of your car, tap or pump your brakes, and if you're super stressed out, don't go out in the storm!

Sorry for my little rant. On to other things . . .

We saw Santa at the local hardware store. It was great. They had him set up next to an excavator. Ava did sit on his lap and didn't cry or fuss. But she also didn't say a word. She just kind of looked at him like he was a crazy man dressed up in a really strange suit. So, she didn't tell him what she wanted for Christmas. Then again, she doesn't really know. Everytime someone asks her she says, "I want a present." I think Santa can handle that. She's such an easy kid. By the way, Ava liked the excavator a whole lot more than Santa. Figures . . .


I got to play in the snow with Ava during the storm. It was beautiful and white. The sounds of ice crackling on trees, and the eery silence of snow falling are some of my favorite things. Ava has no fear and loved sledding down Grandma and Grandpa's hill all by herself. She is riot.



We also had our Christmas party at church. Bowe, Todd and I were Jesus, Joseph and Mary. Ava got to be an Angel. She was not really a quiet angel, but cute none the less. Bowe sat very quietly in the manger. I was nervous, but he only got a little anxious at the end so I got to pick him up and bounce him. I'm sure Mary had to bounce baby Jesus to calm him down too.


I "caught" Ava being so cute with her dolls. She copies me and Todd so often. It's adorable and endearing to know how much she watches us and wants to be like us. I found her changing a diaper . . .

And reading books to her doll . . .

She also wraps her dolls up in blankets and walks around bouncing the baby saying, "ssh, ssh, ssh, it's Ok baby." She has my bouncing step down to a science. It's like having a mini-me walking around. It's a good way to see if I am doing and acting as I should when I see my child mimic my words and actions.

We got some of Todd's baby clothes from his Mom the other day. He went through them and picked out his favorites. Ava really looks like a mini Todd. He especially liked this Buccaneers get-up she has on when he was a kid. She is such a ham. We had her posing and running and basically being hilarious.
Bowe is a little big for this colorful one piece outfit so I guess he won't get to wear it out and about. Too bad!

By the way, Bowe is already over 16 lbs and will probably be moving into 6-9 month clothes by the end of this month. He holds his head up very well. I'm almost expecting him to start talking to me he looks so big. He is so happy. We figured out how to make him laugh and giggle. It is a beautiful thing. You can't help but laugh when Bowe giggles.

1 comment:

Las Vegas Hulet Family said...

Loved the pictures. Wish I could say that I miss the snow but I don't! Simon loved watching the video of Ava, had a smile on his face the whole time. He said "look mom, it's Ava! Look at Todd! He is funny!" I'm so happy he hasn't forgotten you guys! Miss you tons!