September 23, 2007

Life after Pregnancy

Why is it that I always forget that being pregnant means bringing home a newborn baby? For some reason, I never really visualize that concept in my head. I am loving my new baby, but trying also to figure out how to be a mother of two and a wife to one on less sleep than ever. Bowe is definitely more fussy than Ava ever was, but we seem to be figuring each other out. I'm trying not to wish away this time with Bowe, but I sure am looking forward to sleeping through the night. I'm sure he is too.

On the up side, Bowe is a great eater and seems to be a pretty normal baby. A little colic in the evening and a diaper rash that just won't go away. How does that happen with breastmilk? We've discovered that he much prefers sleeping on his stomach. I'm not sure what to do about that. I've only been told 712 times by the Doctors and nurses that babies should always sleep on their backs.
Two Weeks Old.

I am still a little sore and wanting to do more than I should. I feel like I should be able to exercise and get around better by now, but then I do too much and end up on the couch for the whole evening. I know I really should take advantage of this down time while I can.

We had a fun week. My sisters came to visit for the weekend and Ava was able to spend time with her cousins. They seemed to have lots of fun. They get to see each other 2 or 3 times a year and pick up where they left off. Every time they get together, it's a little more fun for us to watch. They are getting better at playing and interacting. They all ham it up for the camera too!


Swimming in the hot tub. (Don't worry, we turned down the temp!)

After shopping at the Outlet Mall. I felt about the same way.
Friday we had a really warm day and evening. We decided to camp out. Luckily there's a spot on the property that is nice fore camping. We made a fire and sat by it for a while. Ava helped wad up the paper. We sang songs and watched planes fly by and stars come out. We slept in a tent as a family which wasn't so bad until Bowe woke everyone up at 4:30 am and Ava decided she was no longer tired. By 7am I was done being crawled on so we came back to the house and everyone slept for a few more hours. All in all, a good camping experience.


Ava stole Todd's soda and made herself comfortable. She's sneaky!



3 comments:

lrbodine said...

I was told a little trick for breastmilk and diaper rash . .. get the Lansinoh baby wipes! Target actually sells a generic version as well. They are only slightly more expensive than the regular baby wipes but cure diaper rash!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I hear you on figuring out how to be a mom to two and wife to one. It's definitely a juggling act! Plus, Everett is a tad rougher with his baby sister than I would like him to be. I feel like I spend a good portion of the day repeating, "Be gentle. Be soft. Don't hurt the baby."
Good luck on the diaper rash thing. I'm not sure of any great advice, but I did find something at Babies R Us the other day called "Triple Paste" and it's really helped with Everett's diaper rash. Not sure if you can use it on a newborn, but it might be something to check out.

Good luck!

Mindy said...

Thanks for the advice! It's so nice to know other mothers deal with the same things I do and that you all care about me! It makes everything a little easier.