September 8, 2008

Bowe's First Birthday

More birthdays! We got to wish a happy first year to my happy son, Bowe. In case there was any confusion, we pronounce it "Bo." We've heard a few people say Bo-eeh and I realize the spelling is confusing. However, I just couldn't name my son B-O. Todd just couldn't support the spelling B-e-a-u and so we compromised on Bowe. So there you have it!

Here is Bowe as a newborn.
I can't believe it has already been a year. Has the Earth started rotating faster?!!


And now the party pics:

We only had family at this party. It is a great excuse to get together.

A race car cake.


Bowe really enjoyed the cake.
On to the presents. Have you e ver noticed in small children, after the first present they open, they are uninterested in the rest. Bowe opened these bath toy tools, (apparently very tasty) and we could hardly get him interested in anything else.There they are again. Ava helped him out by opening his presents. She was only too pleased to do so.And again, he just wouldn't let go of that wrench!
Dance Class!!!! Ava started dance class and she is so cute. She is very good and although I know my daughter is smart, it surprised me how well she followed along and kept the beat. She loves ballet and tap and practices all week. We've only had two classes so far, but I'm looking forward to watching her blossom as a ballerina! (She's in the middle)
Bowe had his first major fall. He took a dive in the bathtub and got a black eye (you can't really see it in this picture), then fell down a step and scraped his eyebrow. Of course he hit the same side of his head both times and of course, this happened the day before his 1 year check up. I was a little nervous about bringing a bruised child to an appointment, but they all smiled and said, "many more falls to come."

Yesterday was so beautiful! We just had to go to the park. I have been so busy lately, but it was important to take 2 hours out for the kids and I to enjoy sunshine and exercise. I feel like there is a limited amount of nice weather left in NY. I have to soak it all up. It is important to note we bought Bowe his first pair of sneakers. He has really thick feet, not wide, but thick and shoes just did not fit on him. Besides, shoes seemed obsolete before he actually started walking. But alas, he is now motoring around so we finally bought him a pair of Vans from the mall that fit perfectly. He's so cute and seems to love the freedom that sneakers bring. He can now walk around in mud, rock, grass, water . . . oh the possibilities are endless!

We went to Todd's Family farm and picked our own corn this week. I've never done that before. It was actually quite fun. I had plans for freezing it for our food storage. With the help of my Mother-in-law, we picked and husked 144 ears of corn right in the field. We then spent a few hours at home blanching, cooling, and freezing it for the winter. It was delicious and I look forward to having NY sweet corn all winter long.
Ava and Bowe were especially helpful. It was a bit muddy and actually started raining while we were out there. They both seemed to enjoy the freedom of getting dirty. I was not concerned at all with dirty hands, shoes, coats or faces. It seemed like the type of activity where the dirtier you were, the more fun you had!
Bowe liked pulling the corn out of my box and eating it raw. He probably ate about as much mud as he did corn. Oh well! A little mud didn't seem to bother him!
Hawkins Home Video Pic of the Week!

I know it looks like Ava is fidgeting and squirming, but if you watch carefully she is trying so hard to get her feet in 1st position like her teacher, Miss Annette, asked. I find it quite adorable.

4 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! Holy smokes!

Happy Birthday Bowe!

And good luck Ava with your dance lessons. :-D

Nate Judd said...

Happy B-Day Bowe!!
That video of Ava is hilarious, all those little girls were cracking me up.

Paul and Holly Domm said...

Happy Birthday Bowe! Ava and Bowe really are beautiful and we wish we were there to see them. I love the cake you made for him and the video of Ava is great. Continue to soak up every ounce of NY sun-I totally understand what that is like (Germany is very similar)!

Sam said...

Hi Mindy!! I Cant believe how big your kids are! it seems like yesterday that you were here in AZ!
Samantha Buntin