June 28, 2008

Summer Recipe Challenge

Shocking as it may be that I take up a blog challenge, but I particularly like this one. From my creative and hilarious friend Heidi, the challenge is to post a recipe that does not involve the oven (and overheating your entire house for the sake of food) but that tastes delicious. So here is my pick . . . I encourage others to post recipes as well.

Black Bean Couscous Salad

1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoon red wine vinegar (or Balsamic or both)
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 to 4 green onions, chopped
1 red (or green) bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or dried dill and parsley, I prefer this)
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (I use canned)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained (may also try garbanzo beans or mix 2 different kinds)
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2 quart or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn and beans and toss to coat.
Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.

This becomes a great meal with grilled chicken on the George Foreman or the Grill. Enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

heidi said...

AWESOME!!! i can't wait to try it!